Moffat’s O.S. Benchmarks
- The railway is long gone but this isn’t that “hidden”. BM 0478
- From one park to the other the river takes you along the straightest route. You will find this plate on the bridge whose “new” name isn’t very appropriate. BM 0475
- You used to learn so much here, but now it’s just a bit flat, although luxurious. BM 0476
- You can still post a letter near here, but give your eyes a chance to find this one. BM 0477
- Off to the city by an old road or straight on for Selkirk, the decision is yours if you look behind the sign. BM 0387
|Clue 5. Holmend. On the junction with Old Carlisle Road and the A708, behind the mini roundabout sign ground level NT 0914 0502||Clue 4 .|
Old Moffat Post Office Now outside the opticians, right Hand side low down to the right of the post box. NT 0847 0534
|Clue 2. |
Moffat New Bridge South parapet, south face, where the footpath meets the parapet. Across the road from Hope Johnstone Park NT 0794 0573
|Clue 1. |
On the A701 Beattock Road, on the old railway bridge near the house Hidden Corner NT 0836 0402
|Clue 3 .|
Old Moffat Academy on the South west corner of the building on the south facing wall. NT 0837 0563
Post your results in the comments box to see how many of you have found them! Let’s start a campaign to protect them.
And this is where the fundamental benchmark is. I’ve used someone else’s photo as it was all overgrown when we visited.
Moffat Cut Mark Quiz Answers
There are plenty more benchmarks on the old maps in Moffat. I wonder now you’ve found these how many others you can find.
Please be considerate to homeowners, who don’t want people walking all over their homes or looking in at their windows looking for benchmarks