Friday 9th June
- To review the work completed so far
- To practice uncerts and practical experiments
- To practice risk assessments
- Starting on approximately p14 of the introduction notes complete tutorial 1 & 2
- Make notes on uncerts and quantifying them from chapter 4
- Risk assessment -Go through the powerpoint on the network (higher physics-> intro-> on risk assessment)
- In your classwork jotter answer the questions as you go through the power point
- Complete the practical below and write it up, including hazards, risks and controls.
Checking Your Uncertainties.
Aim: To find the average speed of a trolley moving down a slope, estimating the uncertainty in the final value.
Apparatus: 1 ramp, 1 metre stick, 1 trolley, 1 stop clock.
- Set up a slope and mark two points 85 cm apart.
- Note the scale reading uncertainty.
- Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the distance.
- Ensuring the trolley starts from the same point each time, measure how long it takes the trolley to pass between the two points.
- Repeat 5 times, calculate the mean time and estimate the random uncertainty.
- Note the scale reading uncertainty in the time.
- Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the time.
- Calculate the average speed and associated uncertainty.
- Express your result in the form:
(speed ± absolute uncertainty) m s-1
Write up your experiment and include your risk assessment
- Continue with the tutorials on Uncerts.