This is the information from the BRAKE website
Lockerbie Academy will be working to increase awareness during ROAD SAFETY WEEK
Young people and road safety
Less than one in 12 licence holders is under 25, yet one in five fatal and serious injury crashes involve a driver this age. Often the victims are young people themselves: road crashes are the biggest killer of young people in the UK and worldwide.
At the same time, young people can make a huge difference to road safety. They often make passionate, effective campaigners who understand the devastation road crashes cause to young lives. They can help prevent casualties, and make their communities safer and greener, by speaking out for road safety and sustainable transport, and making and encouraging responsible decisions within their peer group.
If you teach or work with young people, you can help them understand the issues around road safety and sustainable travel, make safe and sustainable choices, and speak out for responsible road use. Use our online resources including posters, interactive tools and videos, or order our hard copy resources including posters, leaflets and a DVD.
The resources are ideal for youth leaders, secondary schools and colleges, emergency services professionals and driving instructors. Teachers can also make use of our guide to teaching road safety and sign up to our termly educator bulletin.
If you’re a young person wanting to make a difference, stand up for safe and sustainable travel by:
- getting the info you need from our resources and fact and advice pages for young people.
- making the Brake Pledge to show your support for safe and sustainable streets.
- using the Pledge to lead a campaign to raise awareness in your school, college or community.
- staying in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter.
- registering to be part of Road Safety Week in November.
- fundraising for us in your school, college or community.
Project Edward Pledge
I’ve signed the pledge- can you? Notice you don’t need to be a driver
Can you sign the pledge?
I promise that I will:
- Remind my family, friends and colleagues to take extra care on the roads.
- Put my lights on for safety.
- Drive as safely as I can and follow the rules when behind the wheel or riding a motorbike or bicycle.
- Be extra vigilant and attentive to the needs of pedestrians, cyclists, children, older people and horse riders.
- Drive at speeds that are both legal and safe.
- Carry out proper safety checks on my tyres.
- Pay particular attention when driving near schools, and where there are lots children
- Never drive after drinking alcohol or taking drugs/medicines that could impair safety.
- Look as far ahead as possible and not tailgate other drivers
- Always wear my seat belt and ensure that everyone with me wears theirs.
- Not use my mobile phone while driving.
- Ensuring I am not distracted by anything inside or outside the car, or inside my head.
- Set a good example to my passengers by driving calmly and safely.
Let’s work together to reduce death and serious injury on Europe’s roads…
- www.tispol.org/edward #ProjectEdward