I never have sorted out these resources, so with our Third Roads Policing Inspector in the last 5 years, it is time for a sort out. Welcome aboard Inspector McHallum.
S2 Road Safety Resources
Basically we cover speed, distance, and time, but with a road safety spin. Road Safety Links
- speed is the main cause of accidents in the UK
- safety features and the Euro ncap system
- Average speed and average speed cameras
- Instantaneous speed and instantaneous speed cameras
- reaction time and the causes of reduced reaction time
- braking distance and the causes of increased braking distance
- estimating stopping distances, should I run out in front of that car?
We then coverdisplacement and velocity briefly and it is to try to get across why we don’t STD in Physics like they do in maths, but why we vdt, and vst!
- what is displacement?
- How is displacement different from distance?
- scalars and vectors
- velocity = displacement/time
S2 Lockerbie Academy Road Safety & Transport Notes from 2020
Get some practice at speed distance and time questions
If the above are still a little too hard try the sheet below. Here I am not asking you to calculate speed distance or time, but can you extract the information from the sheet, write the equation and substitute?
I think these notes need a bit of an update, so here goes
S3 Transport Resources
Covering Acceleration, velocity-time graphs, Newton’s Laws, Tart Ma Kart, Be a Road Crash Investigator.
The Road Safety Covered is
- Crumple zones
- Crash Investigation
Need to Know
Various Need to Know sheets have been made as we’ve both tried to put something together. Check with your teacher what you’ve managed to cover.
The first sheet is the brief version, the second one has more detail in it.
Don’t forget you can get more information and detail from the National 5 section of this website. GO to the PHYSICS NOTES link in the header and click on the DYNAMICS section. You can also answer some of the Compendium Questions and check the answers in the LO Answer section.
Below are the same files as above but as word versions
This information will help you revise for your assessment. We have not covered the sky diver or vectors at right angles this year.