Here I will post a few tips and hints to remember when answering SQA Higher Papers, hopefully they’ll be quick, snappy and memorable. You’ve got the whole of the Scottish Physics Teachers’ Community Wisdom Below!
- How to remember Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (spell the whole lot not CMBR, as this isn’t a name) However, the way to remember CuMBRia.
- Conservation of Momentum IN THE ABSENCE OF EXTERNAL FORCES, MOMENTUM BEFORE THE COLLISION IS EQUAL TO THE MOMENTUM AFTER THE COLLISION.
- Obviously you know- no secs in Physics, just stick to unit symbols and save all the problems of spelling.
- Fundamental Particles: Key point: it is not that they can be used to make bigger ‘things’, but rather that they are not made from smaller things.
- Strong force (associated with the gluon) acts over a very short distance.
- The gravitational force extends over very large/infinite distances.
- Neutrons don’t carry/have (net) charge so cannot be accelerated/guided/ deflected by magnetic fields.
- Remember: SIG FIG, your final answer should be rounded up to the same number of significant figures as the LEAST significant measurement.
- Don’t forget to revise your uncertainties.
- Make sure you see the words “end of question paper”. Don’t assume you’ve got to the end and there are no questions on the very last page!
- “Show” questions – means show correct formula, working and numerical answer stated as given in the question.
- Don’t leave anything blank! If you really don’t know, give it a go – you never know.
- The questions in the exam sections (MC and then extended answers) are in approximately the same order as the equation sheet.
- LIST: given numbers with the correct symbols before doing a calculation. Or as we say IESSUU (information, Equation, Substitution, Solution, Units and Underline)
- Substitute then rearrange.
- Read all of the question, especially that bit you skipped over at the start.
- Don’t forget units! It’s now worth at least 33% of a calculation!
- This will do for now more to come as they arise……Check out the past paper marking instructions for do’s and don’ts- its full of them in that second column!
Here are some top tips for Revision from Mr Dawson from Wallace Hall Academy- thanks
H Revision Pupil Questions pdf version
H Revision Pupil Questions word version
img src=”https://s.gravatar.com/avatar/e1515b0c027eaeaaa7232dae92981146?s=80″ />