Resources: Notes and video (flash learning AH CfE Virtual Physics)
Read the notes, watch the video and answer the questions below, in a way that makes them form a good note about the subject.
- What three pieces of key evidence didn’t fit with classical physics?
- In 1911 Rutherford put forward his model of the atom, a) State the important features of this model b) What provides the centripetal force for the electrons in this model?
- Describe black body radiation.
- State two changes with the black body radiation curve as temperature increases.
- Describe the UV catastrophe.
- Who helped solve the UV catastrophe and in what ways?
- Which piece of the photoelectric effect experiment demonstrates that energy is not transferred as waves?
- From the photoelectric effect state the link between the energy of the photon and a) the frequency of the radiation, b) the wavelength
- What did Bohr postulate about angular momentum?
- State the formula for angular momentum in Bohr’s model of the atom, (define each term)
- State the limits for the Bohr model of the atom
- Explain the observation made by GP Thomson in 1920 which led to further debate on the issue.
- What did de Broglie imply was the link between electrons as waves and particles?
- Explain the confusion caused when looking at the double slit experiment with single particles.
- What happens when you observe an electron passing through the slit?
- What two quantities cannot be measured together with much certainty and why?
Here is a nice little video on Standing Waves. Standing waves are formed when a wave interferes with its reflection to produce nodes and antinodes.
…..and here is the explanation for the standing wave video
Below are some cracking resources from Sally Weatherly, find her here!
Below are some accumulated resources. Thanks to all of those who produced them.
ah-quanta-summary notes problems-2015 Thanks to RGC for these notes
quanta-and-waves-student-booklet-i-ror Thanks to Mr Orr for these.
Quanta and Waves Student booklet I ROR pdf version of the above
4.2 Energy changes during simple harmonic motion
ah waves summary notes and problems 2013 RGC notes thanks for these
PhysicsQuantaandWaves_tcm4-726389 Andrew McGuigan Numerical Questions
ah quanta summary notes and problems 2015 LA
ah quanta tutorial solutions 2015
ah uncertainties experiments 2013
ah waves summary notes and problems 2013
ah waves tutorial solutions 2013
stellar physics pdf stellar physics.doc
cosmic-rays A quick research task on cosmic rays.
cosmic-rays-answers The answers to the sheet above.
Scientist think that the Earth is due a “Magnetic Flip” Research this starting at the link below and then answer the AH Revised question on this from the 2015 Paper Q11
Here is a Radio 4 programme talking about the consequences of a polar flip. If you want to view further programmes click on the link below.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/curious case of Rutherford and Fry
The number of sunspots is an indication of solar activity. Research this and then complete the AH Revised 2013 paper Q6.
Quantum Tunnelling – strange but true
What is the Uncertainty Principle? Minute Physics
Quantum Tunnelling is the process by which a particle gets across a barrier that it cannot classically pass.
It is related to wave-particle duality in that it is a result of the wave nature of a particle.
The probability of the particles getting through the barrier drops exponentially with the thickness of the barrier.
“>What is Quantum Tunnelling? Minute Physics
How to walk through walls- Quantum Tunnelling
Is Quantum Tunnelling faster than the speed of light?
Tutorial AH Revised Booklet v2